Amla (Phyllanthus Emblica), is popularly known as Indian gooseberries, grows on a deciduous flowering tree of the Phyllanthaceae family. Ayurvedic has been using it in remedies for hundreds of years. The fruits of this tree ripen in the autumn season. The berries are plucked with hands and manual tools.
The fruits of this tree, also called berries, are round and are golden-green in color. Amla berry is commonly used in combination with honey for Herbal remedies. It is used as a blood purifier, stimulant, liver regulator, coolant, antispasmodic, body rejuvenator, antidiabetic, hair tonic, ulcer protective, flu virus, and another type of illness.
Incorporating this ancient fibrous and highly potent superfruit into your daily diet can improve the nutritional value of the food.
The Amla fruit is tangy and bitterly sour, hence very difficult to eat raw. The very first sip of amla juice brings sudden alertness to the mind because of its sourness. Thus, it adds a tinge and nutritional value to food and juices.
A 100-gram serving of raw amla berries contains vitamin C equal to 15- 20 fresh oranges. That’s why it is very sour in taste and kicks in vitamin c levels in the body.
Uses of Amla Berry
Other names of Amla
|Sr. No.||Language||Vernacular Names|
|2.||English||Emblic Myrobalam, Indian gooseberry|
|5.||Hindi||Amla, Amlika, Anvurab, Aoula|
|13.||Sanskrit||Amalaki, Amraphalam, Amalakam, Dhatri-phala, Sriphalam, Vayastha|
|14.||Tamil||Nelli, Nellikayi, Toppi|
Nutritional Value (per 100 gm)
|Sr. No.||Chemical Constituents||Per 100 gm|
|9.||Nicotinic acid||0.2 mg|
Benefits of Amla Juice/ Amla Powder
- Improves EyeSight and prevents eye disorder: It is beneficial in the treatment of eye complications like conjunctivitis and glaucoma. It also reduces tension in the eyes remarkably.
- Cardiovascular Support: Amla juice or amla powder can be an effective remedy for heart disease. It improves the activities of all internal organs and improves cardiovascular health by removing the damaging and disease-causing components. It also regenerates vitality.
- Respiratory disorders: It is Effective in pulmonary TB, pneumonia, and asthma.
- Amla Benefits for hair: Improves hair follicles and coloration. Inhibits early greying of hair by applying simmered dried berries mixed in coconut oil.
- Immunity, stamina. vigor and vitality booster: Amla increases WBC counts as well as other signs of immunological resilience in Individuals.
- Detoxifies Liver: Amla has already been shown to improve liver function, as well as to reduce hyperlipidemia and also metabolic disorders. In animal models of study, amla has been shown to defend against certain toxins and heavy metals in the body.
- Scurvy: As discussed earlier, its sour taste points out to its richness in vitamin C, therefore, it can be used as a remedy for scurvy.
- Rheumatism arthritis: If taken with jaggery can help in symptoms related to Rheumatism arthritis.
- Anti-Diabetic Properties: Diabetes can be controlled with a diet high in vitamin C. Amla syrup combined with bitter gourd syrup triggers the body and allows insulin to be secreted.
- Diarrhea and dysentery: Amla and lemon juice combined is thought to be extremely effective in treating severe ancillary diarrhea. In the diagnosis of diarrhea and dysentery, one teaspoon of leaf paste infused with honey is an effective medicine.
- Anti-aging Properties: It has numerous Revitalizing effects. Amla prevents aging and maintains strength and vitality in old age. Improves body resistance, strengthens the heart, hair, and glands of the body. Not only this, rejuvenating effect on all organs.
- Other Healing Properties
- It Protects the body cells against damage from free radicals and provides antioxidant protection.
- It can be used to treat skin conditions, respiratory problems, and oxidative stress.
- Beneficial for any type of internal bleeding.
- Protects ulcer inflammation and heals internal wounds.
- Functions as a laxative in piles to help ease constipation.
Side-Effects of Amla
As we know that excess of everything is bad for health. Otherwise being a fruit it is harmless. Its overdose can cause stomach problems. It should be avoided or taken in fewer quantities by patients with allergies.
How to Maximize the Benefits of Amla Juice/ Powder
There are numerous ways to consume amla. To maximize its benefits, it should be consumed in combination with:
- Warm Water
Form of Amla Available in Market
It is available in five popular forms:
- Amla Powder: Berries are dried and powdered. This powder is mixed with water and consumed.
- Amla Tablets (Vati)
- Amla Juice: It is the most popular form these days. Amla Juice is available in various competitive brands.
- Amla Candy
- Amla Murabba: Sweet Amla in Pickled form
Amla Juice Recipe/ How to make Amla Juice
- 4-5 Raw Amla Berries (Indian Gooseberry)
- Sugar/Honey: According to taste
- A pinch of black salt (balances the sour taste of amla juice)
- Cut Amla berries into little pieces
- Remove any seeds
- Put in a blender and make a thick paste
- Take a clean porous cotton cloth or straiber and run the puree through it into a container, dissolving all lumps using water to make amla juice drinkable.
- Add black salt and sugar/honey and give it a stir
Refrigerate the juice. It is not advised to put preservatives in it. Add lemon to amla juice if you want to store it for a longer time.
Amla powder is provided by many popular brands. It can be consumed by mixing it in lukewarm water. There is not much difference between amla powder and amla juice.
Due to its sourness, Amla powder extract is cold-pressed to make tablets (amla vati), which is the easiest way to consume it.
Additional Readings: Giloy Benefits
- The information given in this blog is relying on detailed online analysis and published for educational purposes only and therefore does not qualify for expert health advice.
- Advise people to contact a licensed specialist or healthcare provider if they’re seeking a medical diagnosis, treatment, or medication.
- I am not responsible for risks or problems involved with utilizing or relying upon the knowledge in this section.